Sadly, one of the main reasons why those smelly litter pan odors exist is due to improper box maintenance! Unfortunately, a dirty litter pan is also a big reason why many cats will exhibit inappropriate elimination or litter box rejection.
The best solution (to keep you and kitty happy) is to keep your litter box as clean as possible which will really help eliminate odors.
Here are 3 top tips to keep your litter pan clean and fresh.
- Use clumping litter
- Clean a minimum of 2 times a day
- Fill the litter pan 3-4" deep
When I first read the 3-4" recommendation... I thought, "Are they insane? That's wasting a lot of litter!" However, when I tried it out I realized I'm really saving more money in the long run ...let me tell you why.... If you fill the litter 3-4" deep then you make it harder for your cat to dig to the bottom of the litter pan! Which makes it less likely that urine will seep to the bottom of the box and become a disgusting, smelly mess that has to be changed out every few days.
Once you try this, you'll realize that you'll need to switch out the whole batch of litter less often. All you need to do is scoop up the clumps! Add the spot cleaning as noted above and you're on your way to a fresher smelling litter pan.
Scooping cat litter everyday is a boring thing. Petree Self Cleaning Litter Box can help you. If you have one cat, you only need to clean the waste drawer once a week. Enjoy the freedom of never having to scoop litter for your cats now!
- 8 Best Self Cleaning Cat Litter Boxes 2021
- Self Cleaning Litter Box For Multiple Cats and Large Cats
- How Does Self Cleaning Litter Box Work?
- Real Review After Using Petree Smart Litter Box For 3 Months
- How To Train Your Cat to Use an Automatic Litter Box
- 7 Tips to Organize Your Cat's Litter Box Area